Select your language

cotone biologico riciclato

Recycled cotton R&BIO

While global demand for textiles is expected to increase steadily over the coming years, due to the expected population growth and economic development of geographical areas that were previously characterized by widespread poverty, the availability of natural resources will be increasingly limited. For this reason, today the main topic is to develop new technologies and adapt production processes to give priority to the recycling of all wastes produced along the supply chain, as well as of clothing and, in general, of all textile products that have reached the end of their life.






R&BIO yarns: the solution

The textile industry is facing enormous environmental challenges at every stage of the supply chain, particularly the preservation of natural resources. 63% of textile fibers come from petrochemical products, the production of which gives rise to significant emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), the remaining 37% is dominated by cotton. From an environmental point of view, the closer you go to the end of the supply chain (dyeing, finishing, printing, etc.), the greater is the impact in terms of emissions and use of pollutants. Large-scale reuse and recycling of fabrics could potentially reduce the production of virgin textile fibers. It is easy to understand how recycled cotton yarns represent an excellent solution and a valid alternative to more polluting materials. Cotton recycling is generated from two primary sources: the so-called "Pre-consumer" and "Post-consumer" wastes.

Pre and post-consumer recycled cotton

To date, the largest amount of textile waste is collected along the supply chain, the so called "pre- consumer" waste. On the other hand, textile products that have reached the end of their life cycle (garments, towels, household items, etc.) are defined as "post-consumer" waste.
These latter are more difficult to differentiate because of the different color shades and fiber blends used in the manufacturing of fabrics, and thus they generally involve a more laborious regeneration process.


Where does the recycled cotton origin?

The yarn spun with "pre-consumer" waste allows to give value to cotton fibers that would alternatively be used for the production of goods with lower added value, or worst, disposed as waste. Recycled cotton fibers are derived from pre-consumer waste generated during the processing of virgin raw materials and semi-finished products along the supply chain, and from post-consumer waste, such as garments, household textiles and textile fibers in general, which have reached the end of their life cycle.

cotone organico mappa provenienza




Fabrics from recycled cotton

If a product made of recycled material has a lower added value (or quality) than the product from which the waste originates, this process is referred to as "down-cycling". Conversely, if the same product has a higher added value (or quality), this process is referred to as "up-cycling". Since the length and molecules of natural fibers are reduced by use and washing, the recycling of fabrics and fibers typically produces lower quality products (if the quality is defined in terms of the quality of the fibers of which the recycled yarns are made) than the same products obtained from virgin fibers. Consequently, the recycling of fabrics and fibers to produce regenerated cotton is generally considered a down-cycling process.

Stay up to date!
Sign up for our newsletter!